Using data that is xAPI to See Assessment Outcomes – Use Case

0 Comments

Included in the introduction and development of xAPI to a large organization, it can always be a challenge to supply the advantages. I’d like to share with you the way I used xAPI using Articulate Storyline 360, published as SCORM and being sent via a Learning Management System (LMS). The Learning Record Store (LRS) is Learning Locker.

A section needed to be able to capture the responses chosen in evaluations being delivered on the web to summarize. The evaluations had been updated to Storyline from Lectora. Lectora had the ability to deliver the results of an examination via email, which was ideal. However with the organization this was not part of Storyline.

I was involved in a pilot program to introduce xAPI (and other learning technologies) and could observe how xAPI may be used to capture this information.

I used the Javascript library that’s explained in the post My LMS Only Supports SCORM do I use xAPI. This was the simple part. I added a Trigger for every time there was a query answered. This populated the results element of the statement that was xAPI.

With the information now recorded, I needed a way to display the information in a meaningful way. Using the builtin reports from Learning Locker were.

With some study and a lot of playing, I used some Javascript display the results and to pull on data. Adding some CSS to show what the student got right and wrong, together with filtering of the results ended up using something that’s simple to use. The product sits in the SharePoint site, which supports the Single Sign On authentication version. Trainers and tutors can review the results (in virtually real time by refreshing) and print the results if needed.

Page’s first portion was to access the Activities. This was undoubtedly the most tricky part, like I couldn’t locate how xAPI Wrapper can pull every class uniquely up. I settled with the Launched verb as I had control over what was moving as far as xAPI Statements. This is only used once in the program. I could use the activityID to pull on the pupils, once I had this. From that point, it was a procedure leave the output and to pull the information for that pupil.

Whilst I am not able to split the code, below is a movie of the last product. It’s demonstrated to be an easy yet powerful tool and a fantastic selling point to acquire setup with in a huge organization.

Categories:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

New Thinking. New Online Learning.

Signup For Access To Free Courses and Lessons

For more details click on the below link.
TRY IT FREE!
close-link
Get the week’s best articles right in your inbox
Subscribe
Join 15K subscribers
close-image