Using xAPI data to view Assessment Outcomes — Use Case


As part of this development and introduction of xAPI to a large organization, it may be a challenge. I’d like to share with you the way I utilized xAPI with Articulate Storyline 360, published as SCORM and being sent through a Learning Management System (LMS). The Learning Record Store (LRS) is Learning Locker.

A section needed to have the ability to capture the responses selected in assessments to summarize. The assessments were updated from Lectora to Storyline. Lectora had the capacity to deliver the results of an assessment. With the organization is going to Articulate, this was not a part of Storyline.

I was included in a pilot program to introduce xAPI (along with other learning technology) and could observe how xAPI could be utilized to capture this data.

I used the Javascript library that is clarified in this post My LMS Only Supports SCORM, How can I use xAPI. This was the simple part. I included a Trigger for each time there was a question answered. This populated the results component of this xAPI statement.

With the data now captured, I needed a way to display the data in a meaningful way. Using the builtin reports weren’t quite what we wanted.

With a lot and some research of playing, I finally employed some Javascript to pull on data and display the results. Adding some CSS to show what the learner got wrong and right, along with filtering of the results ended up. The item sits in the inner SharePoint website, which affirms the Single Sign On authentication version. Instructors and tutors can review the results (in virtually real time by refreshing) and print the results if needed.

The first part of the webpage was supposed to get into the Activities. This was by far the toughest part, like I couldn’t find how xAPI Wrapper can pull up each course distinctively. As I had control over what was moving in the SCROM packages so far I settled with the Launched verb. This is only used once in the course. I really could use the activityID to pull on the pupils, After I had this. From that point, it was a procedure to pull on all the data for that pupil and render the output.

Below is a video of the item whilst I’m not able to share the code. It’s proven to be a tool and a great selling point to acquire installation within a large business.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

New Thinking. New Online Learning.

Signup For Access To Free Courses and Lessons

For more details click on the below link.
Get the week’s best articles right in your inbox
Join 15K subscribers